2011年6月8日 星期三

I don't go to Shamshuipo often enough i think. It is a place that always reminds me, when I go, that Hong Kong isn't just shopping malls, banks and people in expensive suits. It is small industries supplying other small industries. It is a bit seedy, but then it is also has a strong community feel.

The last time I was there was with Adrian Wong, we were looking for picture frames and fabric to put on the back of the frames for a project we are doing. We had the great experience of shopkeepers getting together to find someone who could translate for this tall gweilo who spoke very little Cantonese and his Chinese friend who spoke more but not enough. Eventually a woman from a shop down the road came along and translated for us (with the help of the small crowd of onlookers that had developed).

That is part of what I think about when I think of Shamshuipo.
 
David Boyce 9/3/2011

沒有留言:

張貼留言